■ Cruiser Name
Spica is the brightest star in the constellation Virgo. With its pale blue shine, it is one of the brightest stars that form the Spring Triangle asterism. Named after the star that shines brightly over Setouchi's blue ocean, the cruiser takes passengers on a freeing journey. This is the new Setouchi highspeed sightseeing cruiser.
The distinctive logo combines the image of “Spica” (literally, “Pearl Star”), a key component of the Spring Triangle star cluster within the Virgo constellation, and the route linking isles along the Seto Inland Sea. It is also origin of the “SEA SPICA” cruiser name.
Contrary to existing highspeed cruisers, SEA SPICA's interior features custom sofa style seating with tables and drink holders at each seat. Window seat pairings are slightly angled towards the window, and have low backrests to offer unobstructed views of the ocean.
★ In preparing for use during the G7 Hiroshima Summit, the four individual seats located at the center section of the upper deck passenger cabins were converted to a long, semi-curved seat facing a table. Along with this, the color schemes of two-person seats behind the cabins on the same deck were transformed from white and orange to blue. Please note that the two-person G7 specification seats will be in use for a limited period (with the final date yet to be decided). Both of these renewed seat types are printed with the G7 Hiroshima Summit logo.
● The four-screen multiple display installed at the front of the lower-deck cabin projects images from the upper-deck pilothouse, ensuring passengers the identical view as the captain.
● This combination monitor also profiles the history, charisma and other aspects of sightseeing stops and scenic viewpoints along the way, further fueling passenger interest and anticipation.
● An onboard concierge fully versed in the Seto Inland Sea provides explanations of the history and appeal of the islands. This special service enriches visual appreciation of the cruise with detailed descriptions of Setouchi enchantments.
The upper-deck “SPICA TERRASSE” features sofas crafted in the image of the Setouchi island chain, along with counter-style tables. These appointments ensure optimum and unobstructed views of the exhilarating Seto Inland Sea scenery. The barrier-free design includes an elevator for ready access from the lower level for mobility challenged passengers.
★ To better host world leaders attending the G7 Hiroshima Summit, the seats located on the upper deck passenger cabin were partially remodeled.
• Yasuyuki Kawanishi
- Architect and Designer. President, Ichibansen.
Born in Nara Prefecture in 1976, Kawanishi founded ICHIBANSEN/next stations co., ltd in 2014. He is the recipient of numerous awards including The Renovation for Nakamura Station Tosa Kuroshio Railway, and the Echigo Tokimeki Railway Setsugekka awards. Kawanishi is also responsible for the design of the WEST EXPRESS GINGA train, launching in Spring 2020.
■ Cruise name : Setouchi Shimatabi Line
■ Serviced areas :
Tobishima Kaido Expressway ~ Shimanami Kaido Expressway areas (Geiyo Islands area)
Tobishima and Shimanami Kaido Expressways, connecting Hiroshima Port (Ujina) and Mihara Port.
Operator : Setouchi Sealine（Setonaikai Kisen Group）
Ship owner : Japan Railway Construction, Transport and Technology Agency (abbreviated name: JRTT) and Setouchi Shimatabi Corporation
Shipyard : Setouchi Craft Co., Ltd.
■Cruise Route Map
■Local Sightseeing Spots
March 17 (Friday) ~ December 4 (Monday), 2023: Departures on Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays.
* Due to regular inspections, service is unavailable all day on March 25 (Saturday), May 5 (Friday), May 19 (Friday) ~ 22 (Monday) and June 12 (Monday) ~ 16 (Friday), as well for the Eastbound Route on November 11.
* Available to both group and individual passengers. Please refer to our website to confirm where bookings may be made.